Monday, April 13, 2009

Three, two, one...



X definitely marks the spot.

My classmates and I had a countdown for almost everything when we were in high school: exams, someone's birthday, a school event, holidays, and so on. Our favorite (not to mention the most popular) is the countdown for summer vacation - roughly two months away from tests, homeworks, and projects. Each day crossed off from the countdown poster is a day closer to "farewell, dear alma mater... hello, freedom!".

The countdown in the picture above was made by my classmate, Erwin, one of only eight boys in our section/class of 44 (if I remember correctly.. I had to look at our class picture and count). The handwriting is undeniably his. ^_~ The blue highlight stood for quarterly examinations, yellow meant school events, while light green meant a holiday.

The poster was placed right next to my seat in the classroom. As such, I was assigned to make sure it was updated every day. I was tasked to cross off the date of the day as soon as the last class was finished. Sounds easy, but I tell you, there were times I'd forget to cross out a date if it weren't for my classmates' reminders. There was just too much going on in my head, sometimes, that a simple task like that slips my mind. Nevertheless, all of our eyes were on one goal: to finally put a cross mark on the last day of classes for the school year.

A year after graduating from college, I still haven't completely outgrown countdowns. However, instead of doing the daily cross marks, I now mark down a specific date in the calendar, which I truly look forward to (like my first day at work) and do more of a mental counting-of-days. Thankfully, holidays and special national events are already printed in most calendars. The new downside now is that two-month summer breaks are no longer applicable to me. ^^

There's a great caution amid all the excitement of looking forward to that long-awaited day, though. As much as keeping the eye on the goal is important, it is equally important to keep this in mind:

"Wherever you are, be all there. Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God."
- Jim Elliot

No comments:

Post a Comment


Share your thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...