Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Wake-up Call



"Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them."
Matthew 18:19-20

I have decided to create this series in an effort to reach out to people and encourage them to commit to a prayerful life. I am not, by any means, an expert on prayer but I strongly believe that I can do something about it. I have posted a link All About Prayer, which I highly recommend that you visit.

When I was in high school, I read the book "God, Please Save Me" by Sister Mary Rose McGeady of Covenant House, a well-known agency for runaway teens that's based in Manhattan. I wish I could read the book one more time but I do not have it anymore. Written inside was a message telling me to pass the book to someone else after I am done reading it... and I did.

The book has a huge impact in my life. I never forgot the story found on its inside back cover. I do not know who the author of the story is but I saw myself in it and realized that God was talking to me.

On the street, I saw a small girl cold and shivering in a thin dress, with little hope of a decent meal. I became angry and said to God: 'Why did you permit this? Why don't you do something about it?'

For a while God said nothing.

That night however, he replied quite suddenly: 'I certainly did something about it. I made you.'

Wow. We are here to be instruments of God. There is so much we can do in this world. In fact, evidence of furthering the kingdom of heaven on earth is everywhere. The amount of campaigns and programs, fund-raising events and concerts, walks and runs, seminars and talks for a specific cause blows me away. As a student leader and active volunteer throughout my schooling years, I am overwhelmed by the zeal of the people all around me.

Even now, I often find myself wishing to make a difference or dreaming to do something great. (Perhaps, you are, too.) Now I realize that I need not 'wish' or 'dream'. I have to PRAY. Of the million and one things we can do to help others and reach out to people, we have forgotten this very simple yet powerful word: PRAYER.

Only recently has it dawned on me that a dedicated PRAYER life is something sorely lacking in our lives (including mine). When was the last time you went to church and knelt down to pray? Or when was the last time you were on your bedside, head bowed and kneeling in prayer?

The last time I felt that I truly prayed - with all my heart, with all my mind, with all my soul, and with all my strength - was at the lowest point of my life in college. Late one afternoon, when our class was finally dismissed, I went to the university church, sat on the last pew and slowly got to my knees. As I faced the altar, I put my hands together and prayed to God. The moment I closed my eyes, tears streamed down my face. I was so burned out - exhausted from all that I do - and I felt as if the fire of life has gone out of me. I cried. Lord, I am tired. Please, give me rest. I cannot remember how I long I stayed there. All I know is I wanted to talk to God because He listens.

That was almost two years ago. God answered that prayer. I have in me a renewed passion to live - and to bring glory to Him. I read my Bible and a devotional daily. At night, I include in my prayers those posted in The Voice of the Martyrs Prayer Calendar 2009. I am also keeping a prayer journal.

My intention in creating this blog is to encourage you to live a life of prayer. Develop a habit of setting a specific time when you could talk to God and follow this daily. (If you can set time to talk to clients, colleagues, friends and family.. how much more for your Heavenly Father?) Remember to praise and thank Him when you wake up in the morning and before you go to sleep. You can talk to Him whenever and wherever. Read your Bible, too. It is the source of many great prayers.

There are many websites and online communities, including your local churches and groups, that foster a solid tie among prayer warriors. I have posted links to various sources, which I find very helpful in this personal mission. As no man is and can ever be an island, I firmly believe there is strength in numbers. I pray all of these will be of great help to you.

If you want to live a prayerful life and need encouragement, you can e-mail me and I will pray for you.

"Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker."
Psalm 95:6

No comments:

Post a Comment


Share your thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...