Sunday, February 28, 2010

Slowly but surely



Nothing like a musical TV series to get me back to my feet.

For the past month, I have been singing to mostly Glee songs at work, at home, and pretty much wherever I go even if it meant humming the tunes in my head.

I have listened to all the songs of the series even before I watched the show episodes and I really fell in love with the Glee renditions of music either new or classic. They are fantastic! I have always loved musicals. The way the songs were creatively personalized into the plot and how each song suits each character gives Glee its edge. Music has a very strong staying power. I believe singing is a very good form of self-expression. :)

As a TV series, though, there's much to be said about Glee especially when it comes to content. In a way, the show is reflecting a lot of the sad reality that is happening in schools and homes like pre-marital sex, teenage pregnancies, marital conflicts and other moral and social issues. However, just because these things are happening doesn't mean we have to settle comfortably with that reality. The media has a way of 'romancing' the wrong things and it ends up being 'acceptable', even influential, to a lot of very receptive individuals, especially the younger generation.

Nevertheless, Glee also has a lot of positive messages like fostering camaraderie among a group of persons with very different backgrounds/personalities, standing strong in times of adversity, being passionate about what you do and what you like, accepting responsibilities and consequences for both good and bad decisions and so on.

Mr. Schuester, the Glee club moderator gave the group a new name, New Directions, which says a lot of the vision that he has for the club. Watching the series made me think of how many of the best and worst times of my life happened while I was a student. Though it wasn't always a bed of roses, being in school was something I can't begin to imagine not going through.

Now that I've been 'out of the campus' for two years now, it has been a real struggle for me to try and go back. Now that I'm working full time, I find it difficult to enroll for further studies. It just seems too much to venture into two huge things at the same time. Difficult, I know, but not impossible. The fear just gets to me too quickly. So, I realized that the sooner I let go of that fear, the better.

Vincent van Gogh once said: "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?" He's right. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's time to step out of the box.

With glee, I finally got the song in my heart back.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Share your thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...