Saturday, August 22, 2009

Well-being



I wasn't much of a girly-girl when I was growing up.

During my freshman year in high school, I still acted like 'one of the boys'. I had very short hair reaching only upto my ears. If not for our school uniform which was a blouse and skirt combination, I would have worn pants or shorts and t-shirts all the time. I was very active in sports and didn't mind having tangled hair, a sweaty face, and wrinkled clothes at the end of the day. Neat or not, I was happy with myself. It didn't occur to me just yet that perhaps boys like girls for being... well... girly. It didn't cross my mind until my mid-teens that at some point, I needed to start acting (even just a tiny bit) more lady-like.

Little did I know that time would present solutions to my problems.

Slowly, that little thing called "self-consciousness" started creeping in. I was starting to get annoyed with my bob cut and began growing my hair for as long as I can manage it and tried different hairstyles. I experimented with my clothes and tried on more girly outfits like skirts and dresses. I also accessorized - hairclips, bracelets, earrings, you name it.

Nevertheless, my discovery of a more feminine side of myself didn't turn out to be a crazy transformation from boyish girl to a fashion junkie. I wouldn't dare let myself get caught in "The Devil wears Prada" whirlwind of fashion. Instead, I made the styles out there fit my taste rather than let it run my life. Modesty is still the best policy. More importantly, I know who I am and I am happy with myself as long as I am growing up to be the woman of God He wanted me to be. :D

Honestly, I am still more of a t-shirt/blouse and jeans kind of person and I think it's going to stay that way. Of course, certain occasions in life would call for different fashion statements and more classy get-ups like formal dinners, awards nights, case conferences, weddings, and so on. I believe it's not going to be a problem. Flexibility has always been one of my great skills.

Moving on, I'm not a huge fan of make-up either.

In our humid country, I easily break into a sweat by just walking outside. I keep my face clean by washing it with a certain soap and applying sunblock during the day. I also use the basic powder and lip gloss but that's about it for everyday. I say: eat lots of fruits, get decent sleep, and drink lots of water. :) Anyhow, I also get regular facial treatments if I've been able to save for it. :D

Don't get me wrong though, there's nothing bad with wearing make-up. The Bible mentioned that women were made to exude beauty, which is told in the story of queen Esther. :) I just don't think my skin can handle the make-up on a daily basis.

By the way, just this year, I've rewarded myself with nail care, spa and massage treatments, too. I find it a very effective way to bring wellness to oneself. I am a firm believer that 'prevention is better than cure' and one way of doing that is by taking care of the body God has given you right now and not when it is already breaking down. Taking drugs or medicine isn't the cure to everything.

There is great truth in the mind-body-spirit connection and God has provided natural ways to heal our bodies long before the dawn of drugs. When I went to a chiropractor, Dr. Gary Bolen, for the first time during my trip to the US, I discovered a lot of new things about health and wellness. He gave me a book "Body by God" by Dr. Ben Lerner and I was glad that I read it.

I also believe that from good health and wellness springs true beauty. :) I read this book, "Who Calls Me Beautiful?" by Regina Franklin and I think every girl, young lady, and woman out there should read it. It tackles about how we are all created in the image and likeness of God while the world convinces us we're ugly by Hollywood standards. It's time to wake up to the truth that we are all beautiful people the way God sees us.

Speaking of this pursuit of health and wellness, I would love to go to The Farm, health and spa resort, at San Benito, when I have some money set aside.

Maximizing Human Potential Through Optimal Health

Rediscover the wellness within you at The Farm, one of the few truly medical and wellness resorts in the world. Located an easy two-hour drive south of the Philippine capital of Manila, this award-winning 48-hectare resort offers an exceptional healing environment for the holistic treatment of the body, mind and soul. Making use of Nature’s own remedies, our mission is to guide and educate you toward your maximum total health potential.

Read more...

The Farm is near where I live. It's a well-known place for health and wellness not only in the Philippines but all over the world. I've heard a lot of great feedback regarding the place but it's rather expensive. You don't need a lot of money to be and stay healthy. Going to The Farm is just a gift I would like to give myself and my family some day. :)

I have not been to The Farm yet but I have met the chief of their Medical Department, Dr. Marian Alonzo, in a seminar I attended at Protégé Special Education Learning Center in Xavierville, Loyola Heights, Quezon City entitled "Art Therapy for Children with Special Needs and Their Caregivers" last May where she was the facilitator. She gave a lot of insight regarding the topic at hand. In spite of our brief encounter, to me she looked like someone who considers health and wellness extremely important besides the fact that she is a medical doctor.

Anyway, my journey towards a work-life balance made prosperous by health and wellness continues. Let's be well and stay healthy. :)

3 comments:

  1. 'Taking care' of your health is not a secondary concern, but essential. There is a temptation, sometimes, to overwork and neglect health, as if your identity was based on what you do. But it is a false economy. Balance and wholeness is better.

    ***

    I like it TOO
    "...decoration is not given to hide horrible things: but to decorate things already adorable." :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember you like that in high school. but hey, every girl blooms in her time. :) and you've got a ray of sunshine in you. so you'll always be beautiful, whatever you wear, whatever you do. :)

    We should get a parlor date soon! :) nails nails! or even a foot scrub. :p

    ~Czarina

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,

    I definitely agree. I have to remind myself that a lot of times because it's easy to fall into the temptation that you are what you do. :)

    Ate Czar,
    Thank you! :D We really should have a date soon! You know what, we should set one near my birthday! I'll treat you to a cool place here in Global City. I'll check out The Spa and see what they have. ;) Then we'll eat and see what else we can do. We haven't seen each other for more than a year na! *excited*

    ReplyDelete


Share your thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...