Friday, March 27, 2009

I found you



The artwork above was originally drawn by my classmate, Liz, during our freshman year in college. As we were adjusting to university life during the first few weeks of the academic year, Liz and I exchanged stories about high school. I've shown her several pictures including a photo of me and three of my closest friends in senior year. Liz, as the talented artist she is, cartoonized us and ta da! - the drawing featured above was born. (I added the colorful texts.)

After our first year in college, though, Liz and her family moved to the United States. She didn't continue with her Psychology degree there; instead, she pursued studies in the arts. I believe that that is really what she wants. We have kept in touch until now and I have seen her works. They are absolutely brilliant! :) Art is truly her calling.

Upon remembering Liz and thinking about friendship, I decided to share this with you:

© 2009 Julie Ann Caringal

You and I started something together
Something indescribable and something unbelievable
And through the years we've gone farther
We can say it’s been quite unpredictable

Nevertheless, it was the perfect present
Given to me and you by the God Almighty
"To be taken cared of well," He said
Like a dream that unfolds into reality

A road to take in the span of a lifetime
Filled with joy, success, laughter, and ease
But can be barred still by many dangers
Yet full of turns, signs, decisions and opportunities

A lot of people we've met along the way
Became our friends – companions they remain
And with every step in this journey before us
We tried to make everything perfect, but all in vain!

Now I see only one thing is proven true:
An adventure once experienced is truly a great gift
Like the journey unfolded before our eyes is worth all...

This poem is monumental for me. It has a very special story.

I wrote this poem about five to six years ago when I was in high school. I was part of my school's student publication then. I really loved to write, especially features articles and poetry. While net surfing at home one time, I came upon Poetry.com and found out that they hold poetry contests. I instantly became interested in joining. I submitted "The Journey Unfolded" and hoped that my poem will be considered.

After a few days, I figured that I didn't win the contest but I don't remember being sad about it. I know there are a lot of other great poets and writers out there. All I wanted to do was join and see what happens. No big expectations. More importantly, I wanted to share the message of my literary piece to others and I was glad to be able to do so through that opportunity.

One day, the postman came with a letter addressed to me. It was from Poetry.com - what were the chances? I felt as if it was suddenly Christmas and Santa came to town while I was eagerly opening the envelope to read the letter. A printed copy of my poem was inside and in the letter, Poetry.com mentioned that they liked my work and wanted it to be a part of their anthology! Wow! I rushed to find Mama to tell her all about it. The events after that are now a blur although I probably have it written down in one of my journals now tucked away in the attic. (I'll go through them tomorrow.)

The amazing twist to this story is this: While I was thinking of what to write about in my blog, I stumbled upon Liz's drawing, edited it, and decided to look for a nice poem to go with it. I went through my collection of poems that I've written years ago and for the first time in five years more or less - the wonderful memories of "The Journey Unfolded" came rushing into my mind.

I went to Poetry.com in the hopes of finding my poem there to convince myself that the memories I have came from something real. In the 'Search for a Poet' box, I typed my name... Lo and behold! My poem is still there. I was really, really nicely overwhelmed to see it with my own two eyes. I was grinning from ear to ear. I felt like singing the music of my heart filled with the joy similar to finding a lost treasure.

"The dream was always running ahead of me. To catch up, to live for a moment in unison with it, that was the miracle." 
- Anais Nin

Let us celebrate 'the journey unfolded'. Let us celebrate friendship!

P.S. In case you're wondering, I'm the girl second from left in the drawing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment


Share your thoughts. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...